Class Notes

If you prefer to submit Class Notes by mail, send to:

UMW Magazine – Class Notes
1301 College Ave.
Fredericksburg, VA 22401



Dorothy Held Gawley

In my last column, I commented on the harsh Northeast winter. I also had a painful bout of sciatica, but that subsided.

Carol Bailey Miller, whowas walking with a cane, went to the ER with pain in her knee. Carol was elected to the Cumberland Historical Society board and is involved with Virginia Horse Show history.

Mim Sollows Wieland and Earl were busy in Atlanta in May attending parties for granddaughter Kathryn, an Auburn graduate who works in Home Depot’s financial department. Grandson Michael, an Eagle Scout, graduated from high school, was named Catholic youth of the year in his diocese, and received a scholarship to the University of South Carolina. Mim and Earl are looking into a nearby assisted living residence so they can still attend their church, keep their doctors, and be near friends.

Please send news to the Office of Alumni Relations or to me.


Roselyn Bell Morris


Corley Gibson Friesen

Susan Hutcheson Jurgens and Maxine Haley Hazelgrove attended their 66th high school reunion in Ashland, Virginia, last spring. There were 10 in their group out of a possible 25. Susan planned a fall Road Scholar trip to England.

Ginny Orkney Philbrick has nine children and two great-grandchildren, one of whom lives in Bedford, Virginia, Ginny’s hometown.

Carol Edgerton Cooper still lives in her Falls Church, Virginia, house but was considering a retirement community. She no longer plays tennis but enjoys yearly visits from her six grandsons. A granddaughter is training to be on the U.S. volleyball team, and a grandson, a Navy SEALs representative, teaches leadership at the Naval Academy.

Weege Attianese Harlow spent three months in her Florida condo last winter and was visited by Carol Edgerton Cooper and Marge Davis Palmer.

Elaine Nader Powell of Springfield, Virginia, who received a kidney transplant in September 2012, is one of the few patients to have received one at her age. Elaine worked part time during the holidays, dines out with her husband, and goes to her grandchildren’s soccer games.

Joyce Long Moore spent time with her daughter in Victoria, British Columbia, where they visited Butchart Gardens. They took an Alaskan cruise and visited Denali National Park. Joyce expected her fourth great-grandchild in October.

Gwen Amory Cumming still lives in her Hampton, Virginia, home. Her four children live in Richmond, Williamsburg, and Hampton. Gwen is involved with her church and the Hampton History Museum. She returned to Mary Washington recently with daughter Ann Randolph Cumming ’84, who celebrated her 30th reunion. Gwen lost her only sister, Alyce Amory Roach ’42, in April.

Rita Morgan Stone enjoys her retirement community at Lakewood Manor in Richmond and occasionally visits Buckingham, where she maintains her family home. Since moving to Richmond, she has renewed her friendship with MWC roommate Betty Montgomery Handy. Carol Oliver Headlee, who also lives at Lakewood, recently joined Rita on the putting green. Rita and Gwen travel to Fredericksburg for UMW Foundation board meetings.

Ernie Friesen and I celebrated 62 years together this summer. I miss my sister, Marjorie Gibson Blaxill of our class, who died in 2011, but I’ve adjusted to life in the Denver area. No more skiing or mountain climbing! Send news. We like to hear about you!


Betsy Dickinson Surles

Only Sara Mott Gabler Blevin and Barbara White Ramer responded. Both are well, as am I. My husband has prepared tax returns for 60 years and again opened his own office, where I assist.


No Class Agent


Christine Harper Hovis

It’s been increasingly difficult to get responses, so I have a proposition. Since our 60th reunion is next year, let’s recall interesting or outrageous events and favorite professors at MWC for future class notes. I’m saving one Charlotte Fisher Klapproth sent that everyone probably will remember.

Betsy Blackwell Fowler wishes happy 80th birthdays to all. Of course, those in their 90s are old, not us. Betsy’s husband, Jim, has dementia and is in assisted living. They have dinner together, and he still welcomes her when she visits. Betsy said former roommate Josephine Jane Worthington Williams Phillips Van Hook passed away in January.

Charlotte Fisher Klapproth and Chris cruised up the East Coast, starting in Boston, sailed around to Quebec, and took a train to Montreal before flying home. They visited shops where they’d taken their children when they were small.

Sally Hanger Moravitz’s husband, Fran, bought a seat in her honor in Klein Theatre, and they attended a reception given by President Hurley. Sally and Fran gave up long-distance traveling but joined a March Road Scholar program, attending performances, visiting restaurants, touring backstage at Peabody and Center Stage theaters, and meeting performers. They visited Crisfield, Maryland, and traveled to Smith and Tangier islands to eat seafood and talk with the watermen.

Joan Kleinknecht recovered from a 10-day hospital stay and planned a trip to Seattle to visit the nephew she raised from 18 months. He’s a Citadel graduate and Seattle Police Department captain with a wife and three daughters. The oldest models, and all play sports.

Life on the Main Line is good for Pat Seitz Hartel. She’s in the Great Valley chapter of DAR and in real estate with Coldwell Banker Preferred in Wayne, Pennsylvania. Son Austin, head of University of Oklahoma’s modern dance department, took his family to Brazil for the World Cup. Son Paul, an L.A. film editor, traveled to Wales for a documentary. Pat and husband Art volunteer with Delaware Riverkeeper and took the grandchildren and some of their parents on a Caribbean cruise last year.

Ginny Marco Hancock and some others sent a story about Willard freshman year that I’m saving for a future article. Ginny and Mike are contemplating downsizing and moving to Vermont. Son Greg and his family are in Vermont. Daughter Rebecca of Michigan was planning a September wedding.

One of Anne Lou Rohrbach Culwell’s great-granddaughters married in June. One planned an August wedding, and her brother plans one in May. A great-granddaughter had her second son in May, and a great-grandson and his wife expected a baby in December. The whole family now numbers more than 40. Anne Lou returned to Pennsylvania for a June mini-reunion with cousins and planned to attend the October balloon festival in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

My hip healed, and I’m back to work and saying exactly what’s on my mind, a definite perk of old age. Take care, all of you, and dredge up those old memories.


Ann Chilton Power

Not much news these days. I suspect we’re on a continuum of doctor appointments, bridge games, gardening, travel, church activities, and grandchildren. An orthopedic complaint led Meg White Fary of Blowing Rock, North Carolina, to Dr. John Chilton, the son of my cousin Mary Chilton Newell ’54. Mary and husband Bill are great-grandparents in Mathews, Virginia. We visit each other and take occasional trips together. Meg and Frank have three children and six grandchildren.

Betty Davies Morie of Williamsburg lost husband Paul in June after a long illness. Betty’s sister, Peggy Davies McCartney ’54, and I shared an apartment when we taught in Fairfax County. She went on to teach in England, where she met Air Force officer James McCartney. They settled in Houston and have two sons and three granddaughters.

While researching retirement continuing care facilities, I met sales associate Lisa Grant Wells ’90 at The Village at Orchard Ridge in Winchester, Virginia. She taught middle school science until 2012 and lives with her husband and two children in Warrenton. Anne Connor Hall ’58, also of Warrenton, is a Realtor who’s served on many civic boards. Husband John Hall passed away in spring.

I’m in my Warrenton condo in winter but otherwise enjoy farm life. Hope to hear from you by Christmas!


Joan Callahan Frankhauser

Mary Montague “Monti” Hudson Sikes’daughter, Alicia,was one ofmore than 100 women in June’s all-female Air Race Classic, designed to encourage women to work as pilots. Alicia and her teammate flew 2,810 miles, from Concord, California, to New Cumberland, Pennsylvania, in three days. Alicia started flying lessons while at the University of South Carolina Honors College. She earned a bachelor’s degree with honors in computer science and received her private pilot’s license. She began her career as an instructor, then went to TWA, where she flew the Boeing 727. Monti said Alicia, an American Airlines MD-80 captain, is among only 400 female captains in the world. Alicia inspired sister Allison to get into aviation. Allison earned a private pilot’s license while earning a Ph.D. in polymer science at the University of Southern Mississippi.

My caregiving responsibilities for my husband, who suffered a traumatic brain injury more than 16 years ago, have increased, so I’m resigning as class agent and asking someone to take over. Don’t let it stop with me!


Anne DePorry McGrath of Fredericksburg attends UMW programs, does photography, and helps raise grandchildren.

Kay Martin Britto visited Chicago with her daughter in May and went to her 60th high school reunion in Maryland. She and her husband visited California in July and attended a September Road Scholar program in the North Carolina mountains.

Judy Townsend Bainbridge’s history of Greenville law and lawyers since 1786 was to be published in fall. She and husband Bob planned an August garden tour of southern England.

Suzanne Doran Houser keeps up with Patricia Lawder Rusk of St. Simon’s Island, Georgia, Jean Phipard Rutherford of Norfolk, Virginia, and Marie Cherry Koneczny of Clifton. A music major, Suzanne graduated in three years and married her West Point sweetheart in 1957. They traveled the world for 30 years with the Army, including three tours in Germany. They’ve been in Atlanta 27 years. Suzanne has taught children and adults since graduation. Two daughters live in Charlotte, North Carolina. Three grandchildren are college graduates. One is a college sophomore.

Joyce Butler Allen treated daughter Susan Crimmins to a two-week trip to London. Joyce’s children are giving a chair in education in her honor to Davis and Elkins College. On their board of trustees since 1992, she plans to retire in May and attend her 60th high school reunion in October.

Jane Crenshaw Avera planned to visit her oldest children, Anne and David, and their families, in California and watch the July Fourth fireworks from Anne and Charlie’s boat in Lake Tahoe. Jane has been a weekend concierge at a Richmond retirement home for 10 years. Jane said Judie Pyrke Orrell died in June 2013 after two years in a Virginia Beach nursing home. She had debilitating dementia and didn’t know Jane when she visited her in 2012. Robert, Judie’s husband, died suddenly in December 2012.

Mary Elizabeth Hendrickson Greenup’s husband, Bill, said shepassed away in February after heart surgery at the Medical College of Virginia. Married 55 years, they’d lived in Fredericksburg since 1961. Mary was active in Fredericksburg organizations and managed the Historic Kenmore gift shop for years. She is survived by two daughters and three grandsons. Martha Kimball Hearn of Fredericksburg attended the memorial service at St. George’s Episcopal Church. Martha also will miss Lucile Geoghegan Cheshire and saw Bill, Lucy’s husband, at daughter Helen’s second wedding. Her four children were in the wedding and have Lucy’s red hair. Martha planned to visit Elinor Runge Vitek in July when Betsy Smith LaFever passed through Virginia from Connecticut to her Florida home. Martha participates in UMW activities. After losing two husbands, she’s dating an old high school friend, a West Point grad and retired general who lives in Virginia Beach.

Elizabeth “Betty” Gould Storms learned about Mary Greenup’s death from a friend who’d attended St. Mary’s Hall in Burlington, New Jersey. Betty and Mary Liz graduated from St. Mary’s in 1954. Betty and husband Bob were helping daughter Susan cope with the death of her 54-year-old husband after a heart attack. He’d been preparing for a heart transplant. He and Susan have five children and one granddaughter.

Nancy Snook Miller said Elizabeth “Bettie” Beckham Gentry lost Bill, her Marine husband of 55 years, in June to Parkinson’s disease. Bettie had cared for him at home. Nancy and husband Jack spent many happy times with them. Nancy and Jack’s daughter lives in Fredericksburg, so Nancy sees Martha Kimball Hearn. She and Ruthie Edge Griggs relive by phone their days in Framar and Custis.

Fay Purcell Parke Cantrell, who lost her husband in an auto accident, married Alex Cantrell of Knoxville, Tennessee. They live on a working farm run by Alex’s son. He raises Black Angus cattle and grows fruits and vegetables. Fay took her fourth European tour, then drove to their condo in St. Simons Island, Georgia, and visited her four sisters. Fay earned a master’s degree from the University of Tennessee in 1981. A retired high school counselor, she still helps select scholarship recipients, is in a garden club, and grows blueberries. Alex stays busy at his office and has no plans to retire.

Edith “Edie” Massie Warner died in May at home, surrounded by her son, daughter, grandchildren, and pets. Husband Don Warner died in 1984. Edie taught second grade in Ann Arbor, Michigan, for 36 years.

Christine Harper Hovis ’55 reports that Kay Purdy Cook, a longtime cancer survivor, died in June. After graduation, Kay, recruited by California public schools, began her teaching career in San Diego. The family moved to San Luis Obispo, where she was a classroom aide. Kay earned a certificate in library technology, managed an elementary school library, and received a 1996 Honorary Service Award. She leaves husband Bruce, son Christopher and wife Elisabeth, and grandson Ian. Kay lived by the theme “pay it forward with an act of kindness toward another.”

Yvonne Lewis Alexander married husband of 53 years Harry Alexander before finishing Mary Washington. They had five children, 11 grandchildren, and several great-grands. When Yvonne’s youngest started fifth grade, she got re-certified, taught art in a Christian school for 17 years, and quit to help care for aging parents. Harry died of cancer in 2010, and a 10-month battle with glioblastoma took Yvonne’s 54-year-old son. She was blessed with three more great-grandchildren, but recently a grandson’s 4-month-old son died in his sleep. Last year Yvonne married Alfred T. Matthew, who lost his wife to cancer. Yvonne had known him since eighth grade, but they’d never dated. They are active at church, and Yvonne has published two books, Count It All Joy, a faith-builder, and Adventure in Autou, a children’s fantasy with spiritual insight.

These notes were hard to write. Five of my friends, none related to each other or me, died within two weeks. My sympathies to all who’ve lost loved ones. Thank you for sharing your joys, sorrows, and ability to go on.


Edna Gooch Trudeau

Approximately 33 of us, with 12 supportive husbands and one terrific son, attended our 55th reunion. The campus was lovely, and the sun appeared Friday for the Brompton reception, as ordered by President and Mrs. Hurley. The food was delicious, the staff cooperative, and the Hyatt Place accommodations first-rate. Golf carts and trolleys were convenient, and everything was well planned!

We had about 20 for Thursday’s dinner at Renato’s. Friday’s registration went like clockwork. Alumni College classes were popular. After the reception, we met at Seacobeck, began the memorial service (56 girls deceased this time), ate filet mignon, and had our class meeting. We’re now part of the 1908 Society, with classes that have celebrated 50th reunions. Saturday was beautiful, and the walkway from Willard to the Carmen Culpeper Chappell Centennial Campanile was streaming with people.

There were class pictures, picnics, tents, and activities until 6 o’clock, when all convened at the Jepson Alumni Executive Center. The Distinguished Alumnus, Frances Liebenow Armstrong ’36 Service, and Outstanding Young Alumnus awards were presented. The class with the largest number of donors and contribution percentage was won by … guess who? We did it again! Our class met for a slideshow songfest and danced the night away. Those left met for Sunday brunch at Jepson. Parting is such sweet sorrow, but plan to be there in another five years.

In June, we lost Edith Sheppard Ott, who had been hospitalized with an inoperable arterial tumor. Several of us attended her memorial service in Richmond.

After slipping and falling on her back at Gary’s U.Va. reunion, Marcia Phillips Ireland was recovering. She missed our reunion but was there in spirit. Sara Bryson Damskier came from Denmark again, with son Hafdan, a psychiatric nurse and photographer who made a class agent happy on the dance floor.

It was great to see Russ and Dan there, representing their late wives Marianne Carrano Raphaely and Pat Gray Proulx, in the middle of everything!

Dodie Reeder Hruby and her reunion committee are tops! Daughter Dorothea’s two oldest are in college, and Dodie has a great-grandchild. She and Dale plan to move to Williamsburg. Irene Piscopo Rodgers is trying to completely retire to be with Don, who’s slowing down a bit. Ann Brooks Coutsoubinas’ husband, Spiros, passed last year. Ann is subbing again in Greek. Son Gregory, in the Army Reserve, is recertifying for his EMT license. Daughter Anastasia was considering a career change that would bring her closer to Ann.

Emily Babb Carpenter and Tom, Marcia Spence Harrison-Thornton and Larry, and Mary Fredman Downing and Glenn were at the reunion. Kay Rowe Hayes and Diana Trischman Lee kept the hospitality room humming. Diana’s hip problems last year laid her low. She literally had to learn to walk again. Nancy Gwaltney Gillette of Spotsylvania joined the reunion committee. She and Bill have 10 grandchildren, five in college. Daughters Deborah and Mary Katherine are in Virginia. Daughter Karen and son David are in North Carolina.

Sally Arnold Sullivan and Bill, Julia Coates Littlefield and Mo, and Jane Tricher Broadbooks and John were there, looking great. Barbara Gordon McNamee and Bob have 17 grandchildren. She travels constantly as a College of William and Mary swim coach and fundraiser. Frances Bourke Lirth and husband John, my volunteer crowd controller, came from Oregon. Afterward, she visited her 100-year-old mother in North Carolina and friends and family on the East Coast. Bunky hasn’t changed a bit. Edith Weber Staib, Nancy Smith Campbell, Nancy Crosland Lehfelat, Carol Daihler Leonard, Cecelia Bergin Robbins, and Sybil Child West looked good.

Molly Bradshaw Clark lost husband Jack a few years ago and has started tackling her bucket list. Audrey Manke Cameron lost husband Gary but was energetic.

Edith Weber Staib planned a trip to Paris with daughter Kathy and granddaughter Jenny. Husband Al was to meet them for a London-to-New York trans-Atlantic cruise.

Celeste Shipman Kaufman’s granddaughter, Frances, Julie’s daughter, was planning her wedding. Jeff’s sons, Smylie and Lucke, stay busy in school and sports. Joan Whittemore Loock came from Alabama and said Joan Essick Woloson was recovering from a mini-stroke. Barbara White Ellis and Donna Pethick Germelman had fun.

Mary Jones Hoff of Michigan, a guidance counselor, lost husband Ed. Mary recovered from heart surgery, still lives in her house, and maintains a summer home.

Carolyn Hickman Bowman, Gail Fallon Neal, Carolyn Jones Yosaitis, Texie Pete Van Devender, and Barbara Hunter Kellogg are ageless. We’re at an age when our bodies take control and sad things happen. I think our turnout is always grand and we should keep on trucking!

Jo Neal Hendricks Scully is in Richmond near her son. Sally Steinmetz enjoys her condo and is active with Connecticut’s Norwalk Community College. She’s had a solo part in the school’s performing arts festival for two years, takes acting and West African hand-drumming classes, and vacationed last summer in Newport, Rhode Island.

Vici Rogers Dumont was reported deceased, but she’s still with us, living in a condo since husband Rollin died.

Thanks to all who ask about the man in my life. Lucas turned 5 in April. He has Granddaddy Tom’s conversational skills and delights me with his curiosity and comments.